Welcome Back Pioneers!
We are looking forward to a great school year. Attendance is a crucial piece to succeeding in school.
The Prince William County School Board Regulation (724-1) states that all children between the ages of 5 and 18 are required to attend school for the same number of days and hours that school is in session. Situations will occasionally arise that prevent students from attending school. When a student misses school, they are required to provide the Attendance Office with an excuse note within 48 hours of their return to school.
Click here to print a note that can be used for multiple attendance requests like early dismissals, absence, bus notes, and more!
Within two days of returning to school, the student must present a written note, stating the reason for the absence, signed and dated by the parent/guardian, with a daytime phone number. Notes received after three or more days will be given to the Alpha Administrator for approval.
Absences are classified as excused based on the following reasons:
- Personal illness of the student
- Medical and dental appointments for the student
- Death of immediate family member
- Observation of a religious holiday
- Emergency conditions in the student’s home that require help from the student
- Reasons of extenuating circumstances to be judged by an administrator
- Short trips taken by the entire family when required because of caring for children, particularly if the trip is construed to be of educational value and could be made a part of the instructional program
- Student participation in school-sponsored activities taking place during school hours
- Required court appearance
- Approved pre-arranged absences
- College visits
Absences are classified as unexcused based on the following reasons:
- All day truancy
- Class truancy
- Missing a ride or a bus
- Disapproved pre-arranged absence
- Failure to produce an appropriate explanation for absence
A doctor’s note may be required after a student has accrued ten or more absences for the school year.
TARDY TO SCHOOL
After 7:30 a.m. students should report directly to the Attendance Office/Tardy Table in the upstairs Annex Office for a tardy slip. If the student has a dated, signed note from a parent/guardian with a valid excuse, he/she will receive an excused pass. This pass must then be shown to the student’s teacher to be admitted to class. If the student does not bring a written valid note, he/she must still report to the Attendance Office/Tardy Table to receive an unexcused tardy pass to be admitted to class.
A student has two days to submit a written explanation for an excused tardy. A student is considered unexcused unless a signed excuse is brought from the parent/guardian and presented to the Attendance Office.
Types of excused tardies:
- All items for excusing absences as listed in the previous section
- Emergency situations arising from unusual weather conditions
- All tardies from late buses
Types of unexcused tardies:
- Missed bus/ride
- Car trouble
Promptness to class is very important. Students are to be in their seats and ready to work when the tardy bell rings.
Each marking period, tardies will be dealt with as follows:
1st offense: Warning
2nd offense: Warning
3rd offense: Warning - Parent Notification
4th offense: After School Detention
5th offense: After School Detention
6th offense: Saturday School Detention
7th offense: Saturday School Detention
8th offense: Saturday School Detention
9th offense: Out of School Suspension
If you have any questions or concerns about your student's attendance, we are happy to assist you.
Ms. Pereira: (703) 594-3021
To review the Prince William County School Board Regulation regarding attendance, click here.